Sunday, December 28, 2008

Armchair coaching Rule 3: Keep it in context.

(3) Keep it in context.  Criticism should come within the context of a coach's overall body of work.  The proof is in the pudding.  I have no idea whether the plumber is doing his job right, but I can sure as hell tell if there is water on the floor.  

The point being, if the coach has been successful, you should have a little bit of faith that the coach knows what he is doing. For the Packers, McCarthy is the exact same coach that he was a year ago.  Now, I'm not convinced that we have enough information to say whether McCarthy is a good coach or not.  But based upon his entire body of work I am willing to give McCarthy the benefit of the doubt.  I had very few quibbles with McCarthy's play calling last season. I have basically the same number or quibbles this year.  He's the exact same coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment