Tuesday, December 30, 2008

In defense of Bob Sanders.

Acme Packing has an interesting post arguing the case for keeping Sanders. I don't think I completely buy it. While I do sympathize with Sanders and think he is not nearly as bad as he is made out to be. He is also nothing special. As I say, I can't tell you whether my plumber is doing things correctly but I can sure tell you whether there is water on the floor. The Packer defense left a lot of water on the floor this year.

Also I don't completely buy the argument (from Bill Walsh) that "Defense is just a matter of having the personnel." We have seen the difference coaching can make in the switch from Slowick to Bates.

Also a great snippet about Winston Moss:

I've never understood the love for Moss, or why he was promoted to assistant head coach before the 2007 season. The linebackers he's coached have never been outstanding. They've never seen bad either. There must be something about meeting the man in person.

I must say I agree with that one. On the other hand, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poo. People said similar things about McCarthy when he was hired (e.g., why hire the offensive coordinator of one of the worst offenses in the league). Thus, if Moss gets the nod I will be disappointed, but will do my best to try to keep an open mind about it.

1 comment:

  1. We have seen the difference coaching can make in the switch from Slowick to Bates.

    Ask fans of the University of Wisconsin and Northwestern University if Mike Hankwitz makes a difference as defesnive coordinator. The defense where Hankwitz used to be just gave up 40+ points to the anemic Florida State offense; the place where he is now picked off the preseason Heisman favorite three times and largely stopped one of the most prolific offenses in college football (don't ask me about the special teams).

    I tend to be with you when you argue against overreacting; I don't think you run a successful organization by firing everyone who has a bad day, or even series of days. At the same time, however, I don't think every problem will solve itself. If you identify a change that ought to be made, you don't do anyone any favors by screwing around and not doing anything about it.

    I think it's clear that such a change needs to be made with the special teams. With Stock at retirement age, I think it makes sense to allow him to retire rather than firing him. The end result is the same, and you avoid getting the reputation of being a complete ass to work for, like Al Davis. Sanders is a harder question. I think injuries have certainly hampered him, but I also think his response to these challenges has not been the best Woodson at safety? For three games, even when it was clearly not working?). I suppose were I making the decision, I'd at least put some feelers out with someone like Mangini or even Romeo Crennel to guage if they had any interest.

    One final comment- the qualities that make a good coordinator do not necessarily correlate to being a good head coach, and vice-versa. Plenty of successful coordinators have turned out to be lousy head coaches (remember Buddy Ryan?), and I think that there are plenty of good head coaches weren't the greatest corrdinators.

    ReplyDelete