Monday, January 19, 2009

Switch to 3-4 Is Either Inspired or Desperate

Let it not be said that McCarthy does not have a giant set of grapefruits.

McCarthy is not on the "hot seat" per se, but he is on notice. If the defense regresses McCarthy might be lining up an offensive coordinators job this time next year.

I am not a huge fan of the move. As I alluded to a couple weeks ago, there is no guarantee that the 3-4 will be any more successful than the zone blocking system (another one of McCarthy's new ideas). A new scheme that is run successfully elsewhere may not be as successful here. It all comes back to personnel.

I think in general fans love big, bold, brash moves. I don't. I think that more often than not the big brash move is an act of desperation.

The title of Barry Alaverez's "auto"biography (which is just okay) is "Don't Flinch." I think that is generally good advice. Stay cool. Don't overreact.

That is not the same thing as stasis. By all means adapt. Revise. Fine tune. Evolve.

But, I think that more often than not "Screw it, let's just change everything and start over from square one" is going to be a losing strategy.

I really hope I'm wrong. And I am willing to give McCarthy the benefit of the doubt on this one. He's earned it. He has bet his whole career on this move. That has to count for something.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment