Saturday, February 28, 2009

Take Time to Stop and Smell the Apples

Isn't free agency season exciting!?

Here's a great video clip that is making the rounds.  It's Louis C.K.'s recent appearance on Conan.





I must say this clip really resonated with me.  It's not just technology that is better.  

Every time I go to the super market I marvel the choices we have, and how much better life is now than when I was a kid.  

When I was a kid I had no idea that there were varieties of pears.  There were only "pears" and they came fresh or in a can.  And the fresh ones were mealy and bland.  Now, the grocery store has at least half a dozen varieties and they are juicy and delicious.  I don't have to go to a gourmet grocery store.  I can buy them at the Pick-N-Save in Milwaukee.

My grocery also has well over a dozen varieties of apples.  And, again, they are delicious.  (My favorite is the Pink Lady.)  When I was a kid, there were maybe three (four on a good day) varieties of apples at the grocery store, and I wasn't really a huge fan of any of them.

My grocery store also has a  long aisle stacked with crazy and wonderful products from Latin America and Asia.

The food we buy our children is cheaper, tastier, and more nutritious than crap at the old five aisle IGA.  Why aren't we more appreciative?

When I was a kid, it was expensive to make long distance phone calls.  I seem to remember (although it almost comical now) that we could only call long distance after eight o'clock or on the weekends, or else the rates would be exorbitant.  I recall my parents getting into quarrels about phone bills.  Now, we call who ever we want, when ever we, want, using the phone that's in our pocket and we don't even think twice about it.

I could go on and on.  But, I think I'll just dismount my soapbox and go enjoy a delicious Capital Maibock (that I purchased at my supermarket) and await some free agency news.

No comments:

Post a Comment