Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Rouse at linebacker?

Here's one that I hadn't heard before.  In his blog post about Mike Adams, Silverstein threw out  this speculation:

Though he will start out at safety, it's possible the 6-4, 233-pound Rouse could get rush opportunities as an outside linebacker.

To play that position, you've got to have good upper body strength so that you can bull rush offensive tackles, so Rouse would have to get stronger. He's got some straight-line speed so the potential for him being a decent pass rusher is there.

I'm not going to pretend like I have any idea if this is at all a possibility.  Although Rouse is bigger than I thought he was, try this: 
  • Close your eyes.
  • Try to visualize Rouse "bull rushing" an offensive tackle.  
  • Wipe that smirk off your face.
That said, I do think the Packers will be forced to be creative with their personnel this season.  I don't think its a stretch to suggest that at least 5 of the front 7 starting defensive positions are question marks.  Maybe that means giving Rouse some snaps at linebacker.  I don't know.




No comments:

Post a Comment