Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It's the Singer Not the Song

Another interesting point by Baranczyk (sub still req'd) :

Against Chicago, they had a lot of one-on-one matchups that they won that maybe last year they wouldn't have won. So I think the improved play of the defense so far comes down to coaching more than scheme. I think they have a good, experienced defensive coordinator and a lot of good assistant coaches.

Baranczyk goes on to list some examples. For example Jolly's huge interception had nothing to do with scheme, and everything about a player knowing what to anticipate and making a heads up and athletic play. Baranczyk may be on to something.

Well give the glory to the man.
Who's not afraid to come on strong.
When there's magic in the music.
It's the singer not the song.






ADDENDUM: Carriveau writes of this post that I suggest that "it's really the players that made the difference and not the defensive coordinator." That is not Baranczyk (or my position) at all. In his piece Baranczyk draws a distinction between "coaching" and "scheme." Baranczyk's opinion is that the defensive performance was more attributable to coaching over scheme. Personally, I'm not sure I'm completely on board. Coaching and scheme seem so intertwined that it is difficult for me to separate the two. Nevertheless, Baranczyk has some support and I think there is something to what he says.

Anyhow, I thought it was an interesting point. And it gave me a plausible excuse to queue up some cheesy 80s pop.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment