Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why so serious?

Last night I had to go to the men's room and I wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible, so I was watching a Packers' third quarter drive from the bottom of the stairs, thinking I would have a head start on the change of possession rush.

4th and 1 from the goal line. Rodgers hits Lee for the TD. Sweet. I immediately turned and speed walked to the john.

Then I came back and the Packers still had 14 points. I asked some random guy what happened to the touchdown.

What touchdown he says.

The touchdown on the 4th and 1.

There was no touchdown.

Yes there was I saw it with my own eyes. Did the Vikings challenge it or something?

No. There never was a touchdown.

Then some other dude pipes up that the pass was dropped.

It was all very confusing to a guy who was already a little goofed up on Tusin and Jager-bombs.

Anyhow. There was no touchdown, and that was the difference of the game.

I suppose I am a little surprised by all the doom and gloom today. All in all, the Packers played pretty well, maybe their best game of the year. (Okay, I was drunk during the game and the Metrodome is a terrible place to watch football but from what I was able to observe, the Packers did welll).

If I were to have come up with my "keys" to game yesterday I probably would have said: (1) stop Adrian Peterson and (2) use the short passing game to sustain drives.

The Packers did both very well last night. I do not understand the criticism of Capers today. (I say this as a Capers agnostic.) Sure I would have liked to have seen more pressure, but you can't always get everything you want. The Packer defense made Adrian Peterson look like the other Adrian Peterson. The Packers challenged Favre to beat them, and Favre rose to the occasion. Sometimes thats the way it goes. I'm not going to second guess Capers and his game plan. The way those guys bottled up Peterson was amazing.

On the other side of the ball, the Packers had basically no problem moving up and down the field. The Vikings have a pretty good defense, and even with the protection problems, Rodgers worked them. That's good to see.

Last year the Packers lost on account of the previously unknown "unnatural throwing motion rule." This year it came down to a dropped one yard pass on fourth down (that secretly I still think was a catch.)

Oh well.

But overall, I actually feel much better about this team today than I did last week.

.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, and how about that Jordy Nelson TD? How's that bet lookin'? ;)

    ReplyDelete